Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Glazed Irish Soda Bread Pops {Tutorial}

Top o' the mornin' to ya! With a name like Tara Kelly (and a maiden name like McDermott), ya better believe I'll be speakin' with an Irish brogue on this blessed day where we honor the great St Patrick! Ahh, St. Patty's Day, how I love ya!

I'd love for you to check out my tutorial on how to make Glazed Irish Soda Bread pops - my last minute inspiration tonight! I wanted to make something special so my wee ones have a bit of heavenly sweetness tomorrow morning to celebrate St. Patty's Day!


I thought about this idea over the weekend, but didn't have time to make Irish soda bread, so I thought my idea would be lost till next year...however, my dear Aunt Camille happened to make a loaf for us and dropped it off while I was at work today! Twas the luck of the Irish that made this possible!!


The hubs and I had a slice or two with dinner of course! Then, to try out my idea, I cut off the edges of the loaf and crushed it up in a mixing bowl.  I mixed up a small batch of an easy vanilla glaze (recipe at end of post)...


...and just like making a cake pop, I put some of the glaze into the mix of crushed up Irish Soda Bread and smushed it all together till it all came together!


I used my mini-cookie scoop to make small bites, rolled them gently to make them perfectly round , popped on the lollipop sticks and into the freezer they went!


After about 20 minutes I took the pops out, added 1 drop of electric green food color to the glaze and dipped away! I had added more milk to the glaze to give make the consistency thinner, so it was pretty drippy and ran down the sides of the lollipop sticks, but once it set it was super easy to clean off.

The small amount of glaze mixed into the soda bread and then the thin layer that covered the pop added a wonderful sweetness to an already delicious, simply sweet bread. To make this even MORE Irish, you could probably mix some Bailey's Irish Cream into the glaze - hmmm, I may need to try this again tomorrow night!

Heyyyy!! Who took a bite of my pop?!?! Was it a hungry leprechaun!?!?


Happy St. Patty's Day to you all! May the luck of the Irish be with you always!! ;)

Tara

Simple Vanilla Glaze
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Melt the butter and mix it into the confectioners sugar. Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.

(Note: I made this recipe using only 1/2 the ingredients because I didn't want a lot leftover. It was really thick after I mixed everything together, so I added little bits of milk at a time to thin it out to the consistency I was looking for.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails